Knowing the size of your pond is important in determining the proper sized fountain. You don’t want a display that is undersized or over sized for your water feature.
Online mapping tools make this easy to get an approximate size and area of your pond.
This is the method using Google maps (other online mapping tools have similar features):
- Go to Google maps and put in the address of the property where you pond is located.
- Switch view from street map to earth view.
- Zoom into your water feature.
- To measure the distance from one edge of your pond to the other:
- Right click on the edge of your pond and select “measure distance” from the pop-up window. This sets your first measurement point
- Place your cursor on the other side of your ponds and left click. This sets the second point of your measurement
- Read the measurement given
- Right click and select “clear measurements” to clear your measurement points to start over and measure other distances.
5. To measure the area of your pond, do the following:
- Right click on the edge of your pond and select “measure distance” from the pop up. This sets the first measurement point.
- Follow the perimeter of your pond and left click to set new measurement points. You can use as many points as necessary to accurately trace your pond.
- Trace your pond all around the perimeter until you get back to your first measurement point. Left click on your first measurement point to close the loop.
- Read the measurement given. The measurement will be in square feet. Divide this number by 43,560 to convert to acres.
These measurements will help you select the correct fountain size to suit your needs. These measurements can also be used when selecting aeration units or chemicals for your pond, or even how many fish to stock in your pond.